Pediatric Complex Care Clinic
Our Pediatric Complex Care Clinic (PCCC) helps children who have multiple, complex or chronic conditions. These children depend on at least one assistive device, such as a wheelchair or ventilator. They also see at least two subspecialists, who are doctors focused on a particular condition or part of the body.
We care for children from birth to age 16. We then help them transition to adult care. Through coordination, we reduce emergency room visits and hospitalizations. If inpatient care is still needed, the hospital stay is often shorter.
Why choose the Geisinger Pediatric Complex Care Clinic?
- Coordinated, specialized care: A specialized, experienced team of medical providers works together to help your child and provide an improved quality of life. The team takes a family-centered approach and develops an individualized and comprehensive plan for each child. Our team includes:
- Subspecialists, consulted as needed
- Nurse practitioner
- Nurse navigator
- Social worker
- Comprehensive clinic visits: During your first clinic visit, our team provides a thorough assessment and develops a medical "passport" to ensure your child receives needed, ongoing care. You can choose to make our clinic your medical home or keep your existing primary care doctor. Either way, we help coordinate and manage care among all your child's doctors. You can expect:
- Coordination of medical appointments, referrals, tests and procedures
- Help understanding recommendations from subspecialists
- Formal plans for both emergencies and daily care, covering potential problems and complications
- Exceptional support: We focus on in-depth care and support. You can reach your care team during clinic hours and through the MyGeisinger health portal. (A medical resident is available off-hours.) We also offer:
- Advocacy and support to help you coordinate with insurers, schools, workplaces and government agencies
- Education for children, parents and other caregivers
- Help organizing care at home, in the community, at the hospital and in group homes
- Seamless transition to adult care: As your child approaches age 16, we help with the transition to Geisinger's Comprehensive Care Clinic for adolescents and young adults. This clinic offers a seamless transition from pediatrics to adult medicine.
Chronic and complex conditions and treatments
Introductory sentence: Children with complex and chronic medical conditions can benefit from our specialty clinic.
- Cerebral palsy
- Chromosome abnormalities and genetic disorders
- Congenital heart disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Developmental disorders
- Spina bifida
- Technology dependence