Acute pain lasts for up to six weeks and occurs during injury, but usually goes away when the body heals. Subacute pain lasts up to 12 weeks and occurs during injury, but usually goes away when the body heals. Chronic pain, or pain that lasts more than 12 weeks, may be persistent, or it may come and go, with varying levels of severity.
What you should know about pain
- Pain is often caused by a specific injury, or by a chronic health condition. Sometimes it can be difficult to find an obvious cause.
- While pain medications can be used to treat pain, there are many other therapies that have proven successful for people.
Why choose Geisinger for your pain care?
- Multiple ways to treat: The Comprehensive Pain Center in at Geisinger Woodbine Lane in Danville is a one-stop shop for treating chronic pain. Our satellite locations include: Lewistown, State College, Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. Our fellowship-trained pain doctors have additional specialist training in pain management to offer injections and other procedures. Our outpatient Multidisciplinary Pain Program teaches people several different techniques to manage pain.
- Collaboration with other specialists: Our pain medicine specialists work with providers across the Geisinger system. We coordinate care with physical therapy, pharmacy, the Geisinger Medicine Institute, the Geisinger Musculoskeletal Institute and the Geisinger Neuroscience Institute.
- Innovative approaches: We offer lidocaine infusion, I-flow spinal cord stimulation, radio frequency ablation, an Apple Watch initiative, Bier blocks, capsaicin treatment, acupuncture, cognitive behavior therapy, horticulture therapy and yoga.