Protecting your child’s heart with every beat
From common to more complex heart conditions, our pediatric cardiology team is here to help your child live their healthiest life.
What is a pediatric cardiologist?
Pediatric cardiologists diagnose, treat and can help manage a wide range of conditions that affect the heart, such as congenital heart disease, myocarditis, high cholesterol and complex heart defects.
Our pediatric cardiology team provides your child with the support and care they need, so they can focus on what matters — being a kid.
Request a consultation
Heart care focused on your child
When your child’s heart doesn’t work like it needs to, you want a team that gives them the very best care. Our pediatric cardiology team offers treatment for:
- Adult congenital heart disease
- Chest pain
- Complex heart defects including single ventricles
- Congenital heart defects
- Fainting (syncope)
- Heart artery or vein blockages
- Heart murmurs
- High cholesterol
- Holter and event monitoring
- Hypertension program
- Kawasaki disease
- Lung, tracheal and chest wall deformity surgery
- Pacemakers and defibrillators
- Rheumatic fever
- Septal defects (atrial and ventricular septal defects)
How are pediatric heart conditions diagnosed?
Our cardiology specialists are experienced in diagnosing and treating all kinds of pediatric heart conditions. Diagnostic tests your child’s doctor may perform include:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) – This noninvasive test uses small sensors attached to your child’s chest and arms to record their heart’s electrical activity.
- Blood tests – These tests can also rule out any issues with your child’s thyroid, liver or kidneys.
- Chest X-ray – This allows your doctor to see the condition of your child’s lungs and heart, and potentially rule out other causes of their symptoms.
- Imaging tests – Your child’s doctor might perform an X-ray, a more in-depth computed tomography (CT) scan or an ultrasound to get a closer look at their heart.
- Echocardiogram – A wand-like device is placed on your child’s chest and uses sound waves to create a video of their heart working.
- Heart monitor – Your child will wear a heart rhythm monitor anywhere from 24 hours to 4 weeks to record their heart’s electrical activity and monitor their heart rhythm.
- Stress test – This involves monitoring your child’s heart while they exercise.
What heart treatments are available for your child?
Depending on the type and severity of your child’s condition, one or more of the following treatments may be recommended:
Your child’s doctor may suggest lifestyle changes to help them manage their symptoms. These may include:
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Getting appropriate vaccines
- Education about environmental triggers and management techniques
- Emotional support
Pediatric cardiology care at Geisinger
From diagnosis to treatment and management of pulmonary conditions, our specialists help children thrive. We offer:
- Personalized care for children: From simple to complex issues, our goal is to provide relief from heart conditions. With personalized treatment plans, we’re here to help your child be as strong and healthy as possible.
- Advanced diagnostic testing: We use advanced imaging and other testing to diagnose your child. We offer noninvasive and minimally invasive testing including:
- Fetal echocardiography
- 3D echocardiography
- Advanced MRI
- CT angiography
- Congenital heart disease program: We offer a dedicated congenital heart disease program, with care for all ages. Whether your child was diagnosed in utero or later, we provide the specialized care they need to feel their best.
- Team approach to complex care: We offer clinics that connect your child with a variety of specialists and support staff in one visit. We educate you and your child on the disease and provide management plans.
- Excellent care in your neighborhood: With Geisinger Janet Weis Children’s Hospital in Danville and many pediatric offices (and specialists) throughout Pennsylvania, exceptional care for your child is never far from home.
- Treatments powered by research: Through ongoing education, research and innovation, we’re evolving pediatric care.
- Family support: We advocate for children and their families, and we’ll guide you at every step — from programs to community support and resources.
- Genetic testing and counseling programs – Our cardiac genetics programs determine whether your child faces a higher-than-normal heart risk. Special programs such as MyCode®, which are only available at Geisinger, detect the earliest signs of certain heart conditions so you can start treatment right away. We may even help your child avoid a heart diagnosis. Learn more or sign up for MyCode.