When should your child see a pediatric dentist?
Because primary teeth typically start to come in around 6 months of age, your child should start seeing a pediatric dentist by age 1 or within 6 months after their first tooth erupts.
Even if your child seems too young, or doesn’t have a lot of teeth, your pediatric dentist can help teach you proper techniques for keeping their smile healthy for years to come.
Routine dental care
Tooth decay impacts many children, so our focus is on prevention and building good dental hygiene habits.
Our pediatric dentists provide care and treatments, including routine cleanings every 6 months, as well as fluoride treatments, sealants and cavity care.
Conditions we treat
Our pediatric dentists, oral surgeons and orthodontists provide a full range of oral care for children — from routine cleanings to braces and surgical correction. Our specialists provide services and care for:
- Cavities and tooth decay
- Cleft lip/palate
- Crooked teeth, overbites and spacing between teeth
- Dental trauma
- Growths or tumors in the mouth, lips or jaw
- Oral infection
- Root canals (baby root canals and root canals on front permanent teeth) and pulp therapy
- Sealants and fluoride
- Tooth removal (extraction)
- Tooth restorations
- Surgical repair of teeth, gums, jaws and palate
How to prepare your child for their first appointment
If your child is 6 months old, he or she may not feel nervous about visiting the dentist just yet. But if your little one is older, having anxiety about the visit is completely normal. Here’s how you can prepare your child for their visit:
- Talk to your child about what to expect; find child-friendly books or online resources to help guide your conversation.
- Try to avoid scheduling your child's appointment during their usual naptime
- Make sure you plan extra time for your child’s appointment. This way, they aren’t rushed and are more likely to feel at ease.
Our child-friendly approach
- Conscious sedation
- Calming gases such as nitrous oxide (laughing gas)
- Safe and effective sedation services