With proper detection, intervention and care, most foot and ankle problems can be treated or prevented. Our podiatry specialists provide treatment for a range of conditions, including routine foot and toenail care, joint conditions, skin problems, wound care, and heel and foot pain.
What you should know about podiatry
- Podiatrists are doctors who specialize in foot and ankle care, focusing in fields including surgery, sports medicine, wound care, pediatrics and diabetic care.
- The foot has 26 bones, 33 joints and more than 100 tendons, muscles and ligaments, and there are more than 300 possible foot ailments. Early attention to foot problems should be a priority to prevent more serious problems from developing.
- Proper patient education and regular foot care is extremely important for people with diabetes. They may experience a loss of sensation (neuropathy) in their feet or develop sores, which can become seriously infected.
- Orthotics (shoe inserts) can solve many foot problems, especially in children. Orthotics help correct an abnormal gait by fixing alignment between the foot and the lower leg. These shoe inserts are used to treat problems like plantar fasciitis, heel spurs and overpronation (where the foot rolls inward too much when walking).
Why choose Geisinger for podiatry care?
- Geisinger podiatrists are experienced in treating a wide range of foot conditions, from common foot pain to complex wound management.
- Our podiatrists provide guidance on proper athletic footwear, prescribe custom orthotics, and evaluate your gait and posture to treat or prevent injury or discomfort.
- We offer a comprehensive approach to foot care, including examination, diagnosis, treatment, education and follow-up.
- We have experienced podiatry surgeons on staff to care for patients who need foot or ankle surgery.
Podiatry conditions and treatments
Your feet need to be healthy and pain-free to maintain an active lifestyle. Our experienced podiatrists use the latest, most effective methods to treat a range of foot and ankle conditions.