Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center (GWV) and Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre (GSWB) Achieve Magnet® Recognition for Nursing Excellence
GWV and GSWB received Magnet recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center in April. ANCC’s Magnet Recognition Program® identifies superior quality in nursing care and is the highest national honor for nursing excellence.
Currently, only 7% of U.S. health care organizations out of over 6,300 U.S. hospitals have achieved Magnet recognition. To achieve Magnet recognition, organizations must pass a rigorous and lengthy application process that demands widespread participation from leadership and staff. The process includes an electronic application, followed by written documentation demonstrating qualitative and quantitative evidence regarding patient care and outcomes.
If scores from the written documentation fall within a range of excellence, an on-site visit occurs to thoroughly assess the Magnet applicant. After this rigorous on-site review process, the Commission on Magnet Recognition reviews the completed appraisal report and votes to determine whether to grant Magnet recognition to the health care organization.
GWV and GSWB are proud to achieve Magnet recognition, as this credential reinforces our dedication to quality patient care. Magnet-recognized organizations consistently demonstrate:
- Higher patient satisfaction with nurse communication, availability of help, and receipt of discharge information.
- Lower risk of 30-day mortality and lower failure to rescue rates.
- Lower rates of falls.
ANCC evaluates organizations seeking both initial Magnet recognition and recertification, judging how well organizations perform in the five foundations of the Magnet Model, which correlate to global issues in nursing and health care. ANCC looks at the degree to which leaders:
- Transform the organization to meet changing needs.
- Empower staff members and prepare them to face all challenges.
- Promote exemplary professional practice.
- Foster innovation within staff knowledge, clinical practice, and systemic improvements.
- Measure and evaluate outcomes throughout the entire organization.
GWV and GSWB are dedicated to providing our patients with the highest-quality care, and this credential confirms our success in this endeavor.
For more information about the Magnet Recognition Program and current statistics, visit www.nursecredentialing.org/magnet.