Tumors are masses of abnormal cells that may be cancerous or noncancerous, and we use both surgical and nonsurgical techniques to treat them. Geisinger’s neurologists, neurosurgeons and oncologists are on the forefront of innovation in treating brain tumors, even rare ones like glioblastoma.
Why choose Geisinger to care for brain tumors?
- Sophisticated treatment options: Our brain tumor specialists are actively researching new types of treatments while offering leading edge care:
- Advanced imaging techniques: We use 3 Tesla MRI technology. Tesla (T) refers to the magnetic field, and 3 is double the previous standard of 1.5. This machine gives us highly detailed images of the brain, which allows us to treat tumors as never before.
- Breakthroughs for treating glioblastoma: Geisinger helped pioneer treatments for one of the most aggressive types of brain cancer, glioblastoma. It has historically been difficult to treat. Geisinger offers new treatments, including cap-like devices that create an electromagnetic field to control the tumor’s growth.
- Combined laser therapy and chemotherapy: Traditional chemotherapy does not work to treat brain cancer because of the blood-brain barrier (the brain’s extra layer of protection that fights infection). We are using novel laser therapy techniques to cross this barrier and deliver targeted therapy to patients.
- Surgical expertise: Our experienced neurosurgeons use the latest technology to treat people. We use image-guided systems that let us see the finest detail of brain anatomy during surgery.
- Personalized approach through MyCode: We’ve genetically mapped about 200,000 people through MyCode, including about 2,000 people with brain tumors. By understanding someone’s DNA, we can better understand their tumor. For example, we’ll know if they will respond to one type of chemotherapy and not the other. When we can predict the disease course we can provide truly personalized treatment. This is the future of treating brain tumors, and we are already there.
- Dedicated, specialized neurological team: We have an oncologist, a radiation therapist and neurosurgeon with subspecialist training in treating brain cancer. The combination of genetic information, detailed imaging, advanced technology and specialized expertise helps us deliver the best outcome possible for patients.