Pediatric gastroenterologists (GIs) treat problems in the gastrointestinal tract and liver, which often cause abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. These problems are common and can affect playtime, sleep and school. Some GI problems are short-lived, while others require long-term treatment.
Why choose Geisinger for pediatric gastroenterology care?
- Highly trained, caring professionals: Our pediatric gastroenterologists are specially trained to treat children with inflammatory bowel disorders (IBDs) or who have problems eating or digesting food. They offer clinic visits throughout our system to make care as convenient as possible. We provide a pediatric nurse navigator to advocate for your child throughout treatment.
- Improved diagnosis and treatment: Children are not just small adults; they have unique needs and conditions. We provide evaluation and therapy with specialized techniques, often diagnosing and starting treatment in the same visit:
- We are one of the few centers in the region offering pediatric motility tests to help evaluate how well food and waste move through the digestive system.
- Child-size, high-definition endoscopes (video cameras built into flexible tubes) can be inserted into the throat to let us see inside the body without surgery.
- When necessary, we use innovative treatments to safely freeze or burn lesions or tumors.
- Specialty clinics: We offer special clinics for specific GI conditions, with individualized evaluation and treatment plans. These clinics bring together a team of specialists who work together to care for your child. Team members include:
- Advanced practitioners
- Speech and occupational therapists
- Registered dietitians
- Exercise specialists
- Obesity prevention and management: Our team evaluates and makes recommendations to prevent and manage childhood obesity. Using body mass index (BMI) as our measure of success, we help children and their parents understand the importance of activity and consuming the right type and amount of food.
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) services: Some children need nutrition delivered through their veins. We work closely with pediatric dietitians and home infusion suppliers to ensure the right support. Geisinger has received Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval to use Omegaven®, a fatty acid mixture that provides superior nutrition.
Gastrointestinal conditions and treatments
Our specialists understand the complicated nature of gastrointestinal diseases in children and offer innovative diagnosis and treatment.
- Abdominal pain and ulcers
- Allergy testing
- Celiac disease
- Crohn's disease
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Diabetes-related conditions
- Enteral and parenteral nutrition
- Eosinophilic (allergic) esophagitis
- Failure to thrive in infants
- Feeding disorders
- Feeding tubes
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Lifestyle and diet modifications
- Nutritional counseling
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Ulcers and polyps
- Weight problems (underweight or obesity)