From treating heartburn to preventing colon cancer, Geisinger’s gastroenterologists use advanced tools and state-of-the-art techniques to diagnose and treat digestive conditions.
By using a variety of endoscopes (small, flexible, lighted tubes with built-in cameras) and other tools, our doctors can diagnose and treat patients without performing surgery, often in a single visit.
What you should know about gastroenterology
- Our gastroenterologists treat a full range of conditions from simple to complex, including:
- Heartburn or acid reflux
- Trouble swallowing
- Abdominal pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Weight loss
- Liver problems (hepatitis and cirrhosis)
- Gallstones and other gallbladder problems
- Chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer
- Pancreatic cysts
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis)
- Family history of gastrointestinal cancers
- Celiac disease and nutritional problems
- A colonoscopy is the most effective screening tool for colon cancer. The American Cancer Society recommends colonoscopy for people age 50 and older who are at average risk for colon cancer. Screening is recommended for people younger than 50 if they have a family history of colon cancer.
Why choose Geisinger for gastroenterology?
- The specialists at our Heartburn Clinic diagnose and treat heartburn using the latest procedures, including the Stretta® procedure that can reduce or eliminate the need for heartburn medication.
- We offer a range of advanced endoscopic procedures in a private and comfortable environment. We use the latest colonoscopy technology for colon cancer screening.
- We are one of the only locations in the region to offer bacterial overgrowth and lactose intolerance breath tests.
- We offer 24-hour PH nasal probe, video capsule endoscopies and esophageal manometries.
- We have a thorough and unique team approach to treating hepatitis. We treated more than patients 500 in 2016 who have hepatitis C.
Participate in cutting-edge research
We’re working to make healthcare better – for you, your family, your community and individuals around the world
Make an appointment
Arrange care for yourself or a loved one
Find the care you need close to home
Search for care locations near you
Manage your care through MyGeisinger patient portal
Access your medical records and appointments, and message your doctor through the MyGeisinger patient portal