Surgery includes procedures that take place inside the body. Cancer surgery at Geisinger uses the latest techniques, including minimally invasive and robotic surgery, to help you get the best care.
We use surgery to:
- Prevent cancer if you face a higher than normal risk
- Diagnose cancer by taking a tissue sample (biopsy)
- Treat cancer and relieve pain by removing tumors
- Restore a normal looking appearance after cancer treatment
What you should know about cancer surgery
- Many of our locations have newly renovated surgical suites with the best available technology.
- Our surgeons are board-certified, meaning they have passed an optional national exam demonstrating their medical knowledge.
Why choose Geisinger for your cancer surgery?
- Specialized care: Our team includes surgeons with additional training (fellowships) in specific types of cancer surgery. Our fellowship-trained surgeons include neurosurgeons who specialize in brain tumors. These doctors offer years of experience in successfully removing tumors near areas that control critical functions, such as breathing. Read more about brain tumors.
- Focus on your quality of life: Our goal is to help you look and feel your best after treatment. If treatments are affecting your appearance or ability to perform daily tasks, our reconstructive surgeons can help. We specialize in helping breast cancer patients who have undergone a mastectomy achieve a more natural looking appearance. Find out more about plastic surgery.
- Minimally invasive surgery: Minimally invasive techniques such as robotic surgery allows a level of precision that is not available with other techniques. For lung cancer, we safely access and remove tumors instead of taking out the entire lung. Our highly specialized care helps you avoid complications. Find out more about robotic surgery.
Treats these conditions
Our team’s additional training and years of experience with cancer surgery help us remove tumors while preserving healthy tissue.