Plastic and reconstructive surgery care
Plastic and reconstructive surgery
Whether you’re looking to enhance your appearance or restore your confidence after trauma or cancer, our board-certified plastic surgeons have the depth of experience to help you achieve beautiful results.
From your first consultation, we’ll partner with you to make sure you feel good about your appearance and function. To best meet your needs, our team is skilled in numerous reconstructive surgeries including:
- Eyebrow lift
- Eyelid surgery
- Face and neck lift
- Microsurgery reconstruction after cancer/trauma
- Non-invasive procedures: Botox, Kybella, Microneedling, PRP
- Reconstruction after Mohs surgery
- Scar revision
- Breast augmentation
- Breast implant revision
- Breast lift
- Breast reconstruction: Tissue flap reconstruction
- Breast reduction
- Breast reconstruction-DIEP (Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator) flap
- Upper and lower extremity-ALT flap, radial forearm flap, latissimus flap, rectus flap
Pediatric (congenital) plastic surgery
- Cleft palate and lip repair
- Ear reshaping
- Breast anomalies
- Hemangioma/vascular malformation excision
- Cranial vault
- Hand anomalies
What is the difference between reconstructive surgery and cosmetic surgery?
Reconstructive surgery is performed to restore function and normal appearance, and correct deformities created by birth defects, trauma or medical conditions like cancer. Examples can include:
- Cleft lip and palate repair
- Breast reconstruction following a lumpectomy or mastectomy for breast cancer
- Reconstructive surgery after burn injuries
Typically, reconstructive surgery is considered medically necessary and covered by most health insurance plans.
Cosmetic surgery is performed to enhance the overall appearance by reshaping and adjusting the anatomy to make it more visually appealing. For those reasons, cosmetic surgery is considered elective and isn’t covered by insurance. Popular examples of cosmetic surgeries are breast lifts, tummy tucks and face lifts.
Certain conditions can be deemed either "reconstructive" or "cosmetic" depending on the specific situation. An example is rhinoplasty, or nose surgery, which is often performed to enhance the appearance of the nose but may also be required to restore normal nasal breathing and normal appearance after a bad nasal fracture.
To best meet your needs, our team is skilled in numerous cosmetic surgeries including:
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)
- Brow lift
- Neck lift
- Genioplasty (chin enhancement)
- Fat graft
- Ear pinning (Otoplasty)
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift (Mastopexy), with or without augmentation
- Breast reduction, including male breast reduction (gynecomastia)
- Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)
- Arm lift (brachioplasty)
- Thigh lift
- Upper back (bra-line) lift
- Sclerotherapy to treat blood vessels
Ruth had prophylactic breast surgery and reconstruction after a MyCode genetic result revealed she was at increased risk for breast and ovarian cancer.
Plastic and reconstructive surgery at Geisinger
From treating medical conditions that affect the way you look to helping you enhance your natural beauty, our surgeons offer the best in plastic and reconstructive surgery care. We offer:
- The knowledge you need – Your team is powered by surgeons with years of training and experience. Their expertise has been honed by performing many plastic surgery procedures. And their focus is on helping you look and feel your best. Meet our plastic surgery team.
- Surgery after weight loss – If you’ve lost significant weight after bariatric surgery, loose skin may cause frustration. Working with your weight loss team, we’ll create a plan so you’ll feel your best.
- Care designed for you, where you live – With locations throughout northeast, central and south-central Pennsylvania, our experienced plastic surgery team provides consultations and comprehensive care. We offer leading-edge treatment options and tailored-to-you care, backed by the expertise and innovation of a nationally recognized health system. Find a location near me.