Pediatric cancer and blood disorders
Pediatric cancers often differ from those found in adults. The most common childhood cancers include brain and spinal tumors, tumors in soft tissues and bones, and the blood diseases leukemia and lymphoma. Other blood disorders are non-cancerous, though they can severely limit a child’s quality of life.
Why choose Geisinger for pediatric cancer and blood disorder care?
- Precision treatment: From medication to surgery, our treatments are targeted, effective and safe. We particularly focus on avoiding complications and unwelcome side effects in children.
Child Life Services: Our certified pediatric specialists have a background in child development. They help children and their families cope with treatment by:
- Using developmentally appropriate play to help explain the condition they face, and their treatment
- Offering diversions – including iPads and craft projects – to help distract children
- Celebrating milestones, including birthdays and the last day of chemotherapy
- Collaborative care: When it comes to treating complex diseases, we have a team-based approach featuring various specialists coming together to develop the most effective treatment plans, resulting in the best outcomes for children.
- Exceptional support: We offer support for children and their families during their journey through diagnosis, treatment, recovery and long-term monitoring. Pediatric nurse navigators partner with parents and caregivers every step of the way.
- Children’s Oncology Group participation: We’re a member of the Children’s Oncology Group, which runs national, and even international, clinical trials. We offer access to leading-edge treatments through these studies, as well as through our own research. Our partnership helps develop new treatments, improve outcomes and minimize the side effects with quality survival of childhood cancer.
Cancers and blood disorders: Conditions and treatments
Our compassionate team diagnoses and treats the full range of childhood cancers and blood disorders, using leading-edge technologies.