Ruth had prophylactic breast surgery and reconstruction after a MyCode genetic result revealed she was at increased risk for breast and ovarian cancer.
Plastic and reconstructive surgery
If you have a medical condition that affects the way you look, plastic surgery can help restore your appearance. Our surgeries can also improve your function if you have scars or other abnormalities that limit your ability to perform daily tasks.
Common plastic surgery procedures include:
- Repairing congenital birth defects, such as cleft palate
- Creating new breasts (breast reconstruction) in cancer survivors who’ve had a mastectomy
- Removing loose skin if you have lost weight after bariatric surgery
What you should know about plastic surgery
- Plastic surgery is not the same as cosmetic surgery.
- Cosmetic surgery can help improve your appearance even if there is no underlying medical condition.
Why choose Geisinger for your plastic surgery?
- Specialized care: Our team includes doctors who specialize in plastic surgery. Many doctors have completed advanced training (fellowships) in reconstructive surgery techniques. This level of care helps you achieve the best possible results.
- Precision treatment: Minimally invasive techniques, microsurgery and laser surgery, help restore your appearance. If you are at risk for skin cancer, we use these techniques to remove suspicious moles that may go deep into the skin. After recovery, the scar is barely noticeable. Find out more about melanoma and skin cancer.
- Personalized care: If you have lost significant weight after bariatric surgery, loose skin may cause frustration. Our plastic surgeons work with your bariatric surgeon to carefully plan and complete removal of your excess skin. The surgeons discuss your health history and weight-loss journey so you can have a safe procedure. By focusing on your unique needs, we help you look your very best.
Treats these conditions
Plastic surgery can make all the difference in helping you feel your best and live more independently.