Sports medicine care that gets you back in the game
Our leading sports medicine team helps keep athletes active and your team at the top of their game.
More than 50 schools, universities and sports teams throughout our communities — including the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders — trust us to care for their athletes as their official orthopaedic and sports medicine provider. Whether you’re a competitive athlete or a weekend warrior, you get that same level of care so you can stay active and at peak performance.
What is sports medicine?
When it comes to keeping your bones and muscles healthy to keep up with your favorite sport, a sports medicine doctor is best suited to help you keep competitive and on the field, court or turf.
If you’ve been injured while playing, sports medicine specialists can help to get you back on your feet. With the latest technology available for diagnosis and rehabilitation, we offer specialized care for sports injuries including:
- ACL injury
- Broken bones
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Hand and wrist injuries
- Hip injury
- Knee injury
- Neck injury
- Shoulder and elbow injuries
- Spine injury
Our experienced sports medicine team includes orthopaedic specialists and surgeons, certified athletic trainers, physical therapists, chiropractors and other health providers to provide a full range of care. We offer leading-edge nonsurgical and surgical treatments, as well as education about injury prevention. Our sports medicine team is specially trained in treating active children and adults who are playing, performing and competing at all levels.
Sports medicine at Geisinger
- Largest sports medicine program in the region: If you’re a team player, you’ll love this team: the largest sports medicine program in the region, including certified athletic trainers, orthopaedic specialists and surgeons, and affiliated physicians. University and high school players — as well as the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins professional hockey team and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders — trust our providers with their care. Imagine what we can do for you. Meet our sports medicine team.
- Comprehensive treatments: Whether you’re an athlete or weekend warrior, we know you aren’t a fan of downtime. That’s why your sports injury has treatment options that include orthopaedic surgery or non-surgical treatments. From injection therapies and rehabilitation, to minimally invasive procedures, we help you get back on your feet.
- Care where it matters: What if you didn’t have to go to the hospital when you got injured? Our specialists can come to you through the only program in the region offering muscle and joint ultrasound at sporting events. This technology means you can get a pinpoint injection treatment with ultrasound guidance — so you don’t have to miss the second half of the game.
- Education and injury prevention: Athletes and coaches want to prevent injuries. We help them learn how through clinics, workshops and dedicated concussion training. We also offer speed and agility camps for high school athletes.
- Ongoing research: New techniques and thinking around treating athletes translates into more advanced care and better outcomes.
From semi-professionals to college and high school athletes, we’re proud to support our local teams and big league dreams.
The official healthcare provider for:
The official orthopaedic and sports medicine provider for our communities’ schools, colleges and universities:
- Belleville Mennonite High School
- Benton School District
- Berwick High School
- Bloomsburg High School
- Bloomsburg University
- Bucknell University
- Carbondale Area High School
- Central Columbia High School
- Columbia Vo-Tech
- Danville School District
- Hanover Area School District
- Juniata County School District
- Keystone College
- King's College
- Lake Lehman High School
- Lewisburg School District
- Line Mountain School District
- Luzerne County Community College
- Marywood University
- Midd-West School District
- Mifflin County School District
- Mifflinburg School District
- Millville School District
- Milton School District
- Misericordia University
- MMI Preparatory
- Nanticoke Area High School
- Northwest Area High School
- Our Lady of Lourdes
- Penn State Scranton
- Penns Valley Area School District
- Saint Joseph’s Catholic Academy
- Scranton Preparatory School
- Scranton School District
- Selinsgrove School District
- Shikellamy School District
- Southern Columbia School District
- State College Youth Ice Hockey
- Susquehanna University
- Susquehanna University Club
- Tri-Valley School District
- University of Scranton
- Wayne Highlands High School
- Western Wayne High School
- Wilkes University
- Wilkes-Barre Area School District
- Wyoming Area High School
- Wyoming Seminary
- Wyoming Valley West High School
Sports medicine conditions and treatments
Our sports medicine specialists work with athletes of all ages and abilities to treat injuries, as well as help prevent them.
Sports medicine care at Geisinger
- World-class care, close to home – With locations throughout central, northeast and south-central Pennsylvania, you can get evaluations, consultations and comprehensive care just about anywhere. Leading-edge treatment options and tailored-to-you care are backed by the expertise and innovation of a nationally renowned health system.
- Better, faster healing – Tried and true methods will keep you on the path to healing through our ProvenCare® program, which identifies and consistently provides the best treatment for specific conditions. This means you spend less time in the hospital and recover faster.
- Orthopaedic urgent care – Our Orthopaedic Urgent Care locations are ready to treat children and adults for sudden injuries, like minor sprains, strains or simple fractures.