Pregnancy and childbirth
Having a baby is one of life’s most precious experiences. It’s also a time when you will likely have questions about prenatal care, nutrition, exercise, delivery options and life after baby. Our team provides personalized, compassionate and coordinated care, helping to guide you through your journey.
What you should know about pregnancy and childbirth:
- Sometimes it’s difficult for women to accept the idea of gaining dozens of pounds, even during pregnancy. But if your pre-pregnancy weight is in the normal range, you should expect to add 25 to 35 pounds. Women who are overweight or underweight before their pregnancy will have different weight-gain recommendations.
- Although that nauseous feeling that may hit you in your first trimester is called morning sickness, it can happen any time of day. Morning sickness is caused by hormonal changes and usually goes away in the second trimester.
Why choose Geisinger for your pregnancy and childbirth care?
- Range of delivery options: Our labor and delivery team helps make your childbirth experience as unique and special as your newborn. We offer the level of care you need. We provide certified nurse midwives for low-risk pregnancies, OB/GYNs for normal-risk pregnancies and maternal-fetal medicine specialists for high-risk pregnancies.
- Access to advanced NICUs: If your new baby needs special attention during the first hours, days or weeks of life, we have two dedicated neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) ready to provide the highest quality of care.
- Coordinated, high-quality care: As a qualified Geisinger ProvenCare® program, our pregnancy and childbirth providers follow only evidence-based best practices. This approach means you can feel confident that you will receive the most proven treatment option.
You can feel confident and comfortable with our specially trained pregnancy and childbirth care team. We provide high quality, personalized care.
- Prenatal care
- Genetic testing and screening
- Lactation consultation
- Prenatal and child education classes
- Labor and delivery
- Clinical nutrition