Voice and swallowing services
Recent advances in science and technology have led to a significant improvement for people with voice and swallowing disorders. Our goal is to help restore function through evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment tailored to meet the needs of each individual patient.
What you should know about voice and swallowing services
- Our voice laboratory is staffed with laryngologists specializing in adult and pediatric care, as well as speech-language pathologists who use the latest diagnostic procedures.
- We can help if your vocal condition results from:
- Changes in voice tone or swallowing abilities
- Larynx (voice box) removal with comprehensive rehabilitation
- The removal of tumors of the larynx
- Chronic conditions like Parkinson's disease
- Cleft palate
- Swallowing disorders related to head and neck surgery, radiation treatment and chemotherapy treatment
- We can help if your swallowing condition results from:
- Head and neck cancer treatment
- Laryngeal Disorders
- Total laryngectomy (voice box removal)
Why choose Geisinger for your voice and swallowing services?
- We work closely with each patient to restore function and improve his or her quality of life.
- Our Swallowing Center is staffed by speech-language pathologists experienced in head and neck swallowing disorders.
- We offer diagnostic and rehabilitation services, including:
- Videofluoroscopic swallowing study (VFFS)
- Videostroboscopy with Chip-Tip and Rigid Endoscope Technology
- Flexible endoscopic evaluations of swallowing (FEES) using “Chip-Tip” endoscopic technology
- Phonatory, acoustic and aerodynamic measures
- Clinical swallowing evaluations
- Therapeutic intervention for all voice disorders
- Therapeutic interventions include compensation techniques, swallowing maneuvers and stimulation of the swallowing mechanism, as well as Surface Electromyography (SEMG).
Treats these conditions
Voice or swallowing issues make it difficult to manage daily activities. We provide specialized and advanced treatment for:
- Chronic conditions such as Parkinson’s disease
- Cleft palate
- Removal of tumors of the larynx
- Removal of the larynx