Geisinger Health Foundation: Spring 2023 Donor Impact Update
See how your philanthropy helps Geisinger invest in technology, programs and resources that make care more efficient and accessible for all.
Every dollar you give strengthens the care, treatment and services we provide. Thank you for generously supporting Geisinger’s mission to make better health easier for all.
I give to Geisinger because...
Thank you to the entire Geisinger team for providing us with excellent healthcare for over two years. We can always count on you!
Dr. Brent Keen, you are a terrific doctor! I appreciate the way you explain things in a way I can understand, even drawing examples on the board. You go above and beyond in helping me.
We were treated so incredibly well during our son’s NICU stay and knew our baby was in the best place possible. Thank you to everyone who participated in taking care of Jase and all the other NICU miracle babies. We are forever grateful to you all for your patience, caring and support through the hardest time in our lives.
Your gifts at work:
- Expand emergency care capacity in Central Pennsylvania. We completed a $10 million expansion and upgrade the emergency department at Geisinger Shamokin Hospital in January, expanding it to 25 beds to accommodate our region’s growing need for high-quality, advanced emergency care.
- Increase access to breast cancer care in Wyoming Valley. We opened the new Comprehensive Breast Center at the Frank M. and Dorothea Henry Cancer Center in February, enabling patients to access imaging, diagnostics and advanced cancer treatment in one convenient location.
- Graduate 44 new biomedical scientists to care for future generations. Forty-four students received a master of biomedical sciences degree from Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine in January, including several first-generation-to-college graduates. Many will go on to become clinical scientists, microbiologists, biophysicists, epidemiologists and other specialists who will advance medical treatments for years to come.
- Identify early detection of thyroid cancer. Researchers from Geisinger’s groundbreaking MyCode Community Health Initiative uncovered a genetic variant associated with high risk for thyroid cancer, enabling those with the variant to take proactive measures to prevent the potentially deadly disease.
- Achieve recognition as one of the best hospitals in the nation. Newsweek included Geisinger Medical Center and Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center on its list of the World’s Best Hospitals 2023, underscoring our ability to provide advanced, high-quality care right here at home.
Geisinger in the news
- Telemedicine helps Geisinger dramatically improve access to behavioral health
- Geisinger at Home bringing in-home primary care to low-income populations with chronic or complex conditions
- Geisinger awards nursing scholarships to 10 recipients
- Geisinger celebrates 2,000 successful transcatheter aortic heart valve replacement procedures