Perfect for cheese lovers on a cold day
Dietitian Emily Newhard’s modified grilled cheese recipe contains whole grains and is high in fiber, low in fat.
4 slices whole-grain bread, such as Pepperidge Farm or Dave’s Killer Bread
4 slices (3 oz.) of part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 oz. grated gouda cheese
2 tbsp. stone ground mustard
2 tbsp. raspberry jam
8 fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and spray with pan spray.
- Spread two slices of bread with mustard and the other two with jam.
- Top the slices with the mustard with two slices each of mozzarella cheese, ½ oz. of grated gouda and a sprinkle of basil leaves.
- Top the sandwich with the other piece of bread with raspberry spread and place on griddle.
- Toast each side on griddle 3-4 minutes, or until each side is browned and cheese is completely melted.
- Serve each sandwich with a side of mixed greens and piece of fresh fruit, for a complete meal.