Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Hearty whole grains and powered by plants!
Dietitian Emily Newhard’s Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is high in vitamins and minerals and packed with a serving of veggies.
12 oz. dry whole wheat pasta- elbows or penne
1 tsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 can (14 oz) pumpkin puree
12 oz. silken tofu
4 oz. soy or almond milk (unsweetened)
½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 1 tsp. salt
- Cook the pasta according to directions on the box. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepot over medium heat, sauté the garlic in the oil for three minutes or until translucent. Add the pumpkin and stir until combined.
- In a blender, combine the tofu, milk and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth and add to the pot with the pumpkin mixture.
- Add the thyme and salt and stir occasionally until your mixture has reached the desired texture and thickened slightly. Taste and season, if needed.
- Toss with the cooked pasta and serve warm.