Registered dietitian nutritionist Sarah Dayton’s Vegan Winter Squash Soup is healthy, hearty, and packed with fiber and protein.
Time: 20 minutes
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium honeycrisp apple – diced
1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 cups pre-cut butternut squash
1-½ cups low sodium vegetable stock
14 oz. can pumpkin puree
¼ tsp. curry powder
¼ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1 tbsp. peanut butter
14 oz. package silken tofu
Pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds) for garnish
- Sweat onions, garlic and apples for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add ginger and spices. Toast for 1 minute.
- Add in squash, pumpkin, peanut butter and stock. Allow soup to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender or use an immersion blender in the pot – add the silken tofu and blend for 45 seconds. Before pouring out, make sure to remove the top of the blender to allow steam to be released.
- Top with pepitas for garnish.
Contains 9 grams fiber and 10 grams protein per serving