Gynecologic cancer occurs when abnormal cells form in a woman’s reproductive organs. At Geisinger, you receive care from a team that is dedicated to helping women overcome gynecologic cancer. We offer the best available treatments, including brachytherapy, which destroys tumors without surgery.
Gynecologic cancer can affect a woman’s:
- Fallopian tubes, which help eggs travel to the uterus
- Folds of skin that protect the vagina (vulva)
What you should know about gynecologic cancer
- All women are at risk for gynecologic cancer. You may be able to reduce this risk by eating well and being physically active.
- Screening tests, such as a Pap smear, help detect some cancers early when treatment may be more successful.
Why choose Geisinger for your gynecologic cancer care?
- Specialized care: You receive care from a team of specialists, including gynecologists who specialize in treating cancer (gynecologic oncologists). Our team also includes surgeons, nurses and physician assistants devoted to treating gynecologic cancer.
- Personalized care: We care about your experience and look to help you at each step. To start, the same team of gynecologic cancer specialists stays with you from start to finish. If you need chemotherapy after surgery, your surgeon makes drug recommendations based on your unique needs. You then come back to our team every few weeks for checkups. Find out more about chemotherapy.
- Research: Our doctors’ research interests include all forms of gynecologic cancer, including uterine cancer. Our work has demonstrated that small doses of radiation are effective in destroying uterine cancer cells. Lowering your radiation exposure also reduces the risk of side effects such as tiredness (fatigue) and appetite loss. Read more about cancer clinical trials.
Gynecologic cancer treatments from our team helps you get relief from uncomfortable symptoms, while slowing or stopping cancer growth.