This easy, low-carb meal can be ready and on the table in just 30 minutes.
Prep time: 9 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 3 lbs.)*
½ small onion, chopped (about a ½ cup)
4 garlic cloves, sliced or minced
1/3 cup homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
¾ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. smoked paprika
2-4 tsp. Italian seasoning
½ tsp. red chili flakes (optional or to taste)
2 tbsp. olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup)
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
2 tbsp. skim milk
1 ½ tsp. cornstarch
Chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish, if desired
1. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili flakes.
2. Press the “sauté” function (normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot.
3. Place chicken in the Instant Pot and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. This helps seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
4. Melt butter in Instant Pot and stir in onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lemon zest and chicken broth. Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid and turn the valve to “sealing.”
5. Select the “manual” (older models) or “pressure cook” (newer models) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes. It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down. When done, release the pressure after 2 minutes, then remove the lid.
6. Remove chicken from Instant Pot using tongs and set aside on a large serving plate. Press “off” and turn to “sauté” function. Mix cornstarch with cold skim milk until well blended. Add to liquids in the Instant Pot. Cook and allow the sauce to bubble and thicken. Turn off and add chicken back to the Instant Pot to coat with sauce. Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with your favorite sides and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
*For boneless, skinless chicken breasts: Use three breasts, sliced horizontally in half.