Geisinger Commonwealth announces early residency ‘matches’
Five GCSOM fourth-year medical students participated in military match; one student participated in early match for ophthalmology
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine (GCSOM) announced that six fourth-year medical students at GCSOM have successfully matched into residency programs. While most of the MD Class of 2019 will learn the locations of their residency programs at noon on Friday, March 15, several "matches” occur prior to the national residency event, including for military matches and matches for specialties like ophthalmology and urology.
The student matches are:
- Sean Basile of Quakertown, internal medicine at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland
- Brandon Cope of Scranton, general surgery at Keesler Medical Center, Keesler Air Force Base, Biloxi, Mississippi
- Madalyn Plessinger of Fallentimber, family medicine at Offutt Air Force Base residency program at the University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Stephen Mazurkivich of West Wyoming, internal medicine at Wright-Patterson Medical Center, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio
- Sarah McDonald, pediatrics at San Antonio Military Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas
Laura Barna of Mountain Top, ophthalmology at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai, New York, New York
About Geisinger College of Health Sciences
Geisinger College of Health Sciences is the research and education arm of the Geisinger family. The college houses Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, Geisinger School of Nursing and Geisinger School of Graduate Education. The college is committed to non-discrimination in all employment and educational opportunities.
Geisinger is committed to making better health easier for the more than 1 million people it serves. Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes 10 hospital campuses, a health plan with more than half a million members, a research institute and the Geisinger College of Health Sciences, which includes schools of medicine, nursing and graduate education. With more than 25,000 employees and 1,700+ employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Director, Media and Public Relations
On Call: 570-687-9703