Diagnostic excellence leads to early detection of life-threatening disease
Vascular ultrasound is used to diagnose diseases of the blood vessels in all parts of the body except the brain and heart. It is essential to the early detection of life-threatening conditions like carotid artery disease, peripheral artery disease, intestinal artery disease, renal artery blockage, abdominal aneurysms and blood clots.
Early diagnosis and treatment of these conditions helps prevent potentially deadly or disabling complications like stroke, ruptured aneurysms and limb amputation.
The IAC grants three-year accreditation in the areas of extracranial cerebrovascular testing, peripheral venous testing, visceral vascular testing and peripheral arterial testing. Accreditation provides reassurance for patients that a vascular laboratory delivers consistent, quality care and is dedicated to continuous improvement.
• A facility has undergone a thorough review of its operational and technical components by a panel of experts in the field.
• A facility upholds processes that comply with national standards.
• A facility has standards in place for patient and personnel safety.
“This accreditation is a testament to the hard work and commitment of our vascular diagnostic teams across the system,” said James Elmore, M.D., chair of Geisinger’s Department of Vascular Surgery. “Geisinger has a long history of excellence in vascular diagnostics and treatment, and we’re proud to maintain accreditation from an organization that holds the same high standards.”
Accredited Geisinger vascular laboratories:
• Geisinger Healthplex State College, Geisinger Medical Center and Geisinger Lewistown Hospital for extracranial cerebrovascular testing, peripheral venous testing, visceral vascular testing and peripheral arterial testing
• Geisinger Community Medical Center, Geisinger Lewistown, Geisinger Mifflintown, Geisinger Mount Pocono, Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre, Geisinger Tunkhannock and Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center for extracranial cerebrovascular testing, peripheral venous testing and peripheral arterial testing
• Geisinger Phillipsburg for extracranial cerebrovascular testing
Geisinger is committed to making better health easier for the more than 1 million people it serves. Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes 10 hospital campuses, a health plan with more than half a million members, a research institute and the Geisinger College of Health Sciences, which includes schools of medicine, nursing and graduate education. With more than 25,000 employees and 1,700+ employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
For media inquires:
Senior Communications Specialist