Consider the "four Cs:" coverage, cost, convenience and customer service
- Look for plans that limit out-of-pocket expenses. Consider the added value you’ll get with plans that offer preventive services, as well as dental or vision benefits.
- Before selecting a plan, request a list of covered drugs and make sure your prescriptions are included. Some plans also offer coverage in the Medicare Part D coverage gap, also known as the "donut hole." This means that you won’t have to pay additional out-of-pocket costs for your prescriptions after you and your drug plan have reached the annual limit for your covered drugs.
- Find the right balance between out-of-pocket costs and premiums for you. Pay close attention to the cost of both brand name and generic drugs.
- Become familiar with these important cost-related terms:
- Monthly premium: The amount you pay each month to cover the cost of your membership in the plan
- Deductible: The amount you must pay for healthcare before the plan begins to pay
- Copayment: The amount you pay for each medical service, like a doctor visit
- Coinsurance: The percentage of a charge for services you may have to pay after you pay your plan’s deductible
- Select coverage from a health plan whose network includes the doctors and pharmacies you know.
- If you need help, you want to make sure your insurance company will be there. To find a health plan that offers excellent customer service, look for independent reviews and discuss options with friends and family.
Geisinger Gold Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO, and HMO SNP plans are offered by Geisinger Health Plan/Geisinger Indemnity Insurance Company, health plans with a Medicare contract. Continued enrollment in Geisinger Gold depends on annual contract renewal.
Y0032_19213_1_C Accepted 8/5/19
Page last updated: 7/31/2019