Choose your family's favorite veggies
The farmer’s market season is quickly coming to an end, but there are many vegetables that are still in season. Try this fresh, veggie packed pasta dish for a colorful dinner.
Fresh and simple pasta primavera
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Note: You can swap out different vegetables or remove any that you don’t like
1 cup broccoli florets (chopped into bite size pieces)
1 cup cauliflower florets (chopped into bite size pieces)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
½ cup sliced carrots
½ cup frozen peas
2 cups sliced red or green peppers
1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup chopped white onion
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon butter
1 cup evaporated fat-free milk (do not use sweetened condensed milk)
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
12 ounces whole-wheat pasta (angel hair or spaghetti)
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower in the microwave. Set aside.
- In large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion, carrots, mushrooms, and peppers until they start to soften, but still remain slightly crunchy. Add minced garlic and stir. Add broccoli, cauliflower and peas to the rest of the vegetables and stir mixture. Remove from heat but keep warm.
- In another large saucepan, heat the butter, evaporated milk and parmesan cheese. Stir over medium heat until somewhat thickened and heated through. Stir continuously so you don’t burn the milk. Remove from heat but keep warm.
- Fill a large pot ¾ full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), according to package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly. Divide the pasta evenly among individual plates. Top with vegetables and pour the sauce over the vegetables and pasta.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
Source: Adapted from http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/recipes/pasta-primavera/rcp-20049690