Celebrate a favorite autumn ingredient: acorn squash
Enjoy this sweet, nutty squash with this quick side dish. Look for acorn squash at the farmer’s market or grocery store starting in September.
Simple baked acorn squash
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
2 whole acorn squash
1 teaspoon butter
2 teaspoons maple syrup
Cinnamon, sprinkle to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut each squash in half with a sharp knife.
CAUTION: The skin can be tough, so be careful not to cut yourself.
- Scrape out seeds and string membranes with a spoons.
- Place on a baking sheet, cut sides down.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Melt butter.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Flip squash so that the cut side is now facing up.
CAUTION: Squash will be hot
- Brush mixture all over the inside the squash
- Bake for another 20-30 minutes until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Serve 1 half per person.
Source: adapted from www.foodnetwork.com