Erin go Bragh!
Celebrate this St. Patrick’s Day by adding some green to your diet! Green fruits and vegetables are filled with vitamins and minerals that keep your body healthy. A diet full of green produce can also help reduce the risk of some types of cancers and maintain strong bones and teeth.
The most common vegetable of the day is, of course, cabbage. Cabbage is high in fiber, low in calories and full of antioxidants.
Try this recipe for Slow Cooker Beef with Cabbage, Potatoes and Carrots for your St. Paddy’s Day celebrations.
1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground mustard
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (2-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
1 cup unsalted beef stock
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 medium onions, cut into wedges
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 head Savoy cabbage, halved
2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
1 pound trimmed baby carrots
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and next 5 ingredients (through cloves) in a small bowl.
- Rub mixture over all sides of brisket. Place brisket in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add stock and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaves). Arrange cabbage halves over top.
- Cook on LOW 8 hours or until beef is very tender. Transfer beef to a cutting board; discard bay leaves.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; add cold water to cover potatoes by 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Toss with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and butter.
- Cut brisket across the grain into thin slices.
- Cut each cabbage half into 4 wedges.
- Serve brisket with onions, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and jus.