Lie low with lightning
Lightning is one of nature’s deadliest phenomenon and springtime is known for its rolling thunder and lightning storms. While many lightning strikes are harmless and have very little effect on people or the environment, lightning can be deadly and cause harm in an instant.
There’s no safe place outside when thunder or lightning storms are in the area. If you hear thunder, you are likely within striking distance of a storm. Too many people wait too long to get to a safe place when storms approach. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors!
Below are some more tips on how to stay safe during a thunder and lightning storm:
- Stay off corded electrical devices
- Avoid plumbing. Don’t wash your hands, take a shower or wash dishes
- Stay away from windows and doors
- Do not lie on concrete floors or against concrete walls
- Stay away from anything metal