CHIP gives your child more
Pennsylvania's Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), brought to you by Geisinger Health Plan Kids (GHP Kids), is committed to providing complete care to all eligible, uninsured children and teens in our service area.
What’s covered?GHP Kids provides complete healthcare coverage for your child, including:
- Doctors and hospitals nearby
- Routine checkups and immunizations
- Prescription drugs
- Eye exams
- Dental care (from participating SKYGEN providers)
- Emergency care
- Up to 90 days of hospitalization per year
- Durable medical equipment
- And much more
Well-child PCP visit
Other PCP visit
|Low-cost CHIP||$25 (waived if admitted)|
|Full-cost CHIP||$50 (waived if admitted|
Urgent care visits
GHP Kids coverage is free or low-cost, depending on your household income.
Why choose GHP?The Geisinger Health Plan difference includes:
- Quality coverage, backed up by independent rankings
- Focus on customer service
- Large provider network
Call us at 866-621-5235 (PA Relay: 711).
Frequently asked questions
In order to qualify for health insurance coverage under the CHIP program, your child must be:
- Under 19 years of age
- A resident of Pennsylvania
- A U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawfully present immigrant
- Uninsured (not have any other health insurance coverage)
- Not eligible for Medical Assistance (Medicaid)
You must meet the guidelines based on household size and income. Click here for the link to the income/family size information or view the income chart.
Most families can receive CHIP coverage for free. Others can get the same benefits at a low cost, depending on household size and income. There are three main categories of CHIP coverage:
- Free CHIP – There are no required monthly premium payments and no copays for covered services.
- Low-cost CHIP – Payment of a modest monthly premium that is a portion of the total cost of health insurance coverage is required, and there are copays for some covered services.
- Full-cost CHIP – Payment of a monthly premium that covers the total cost of health insurance coverage is required, and there are copays for some covered services.
However, if your child has a documented serious illness or disability, he or she may be eligible for Medical Assistance rather than for CHIP. GHP Kids and your doctor will be able to assist you in obtaining the appropriate coverage in this situation.
Questions about eligibility and application processing can be addressed by visiting dhs.pa.gov/COMPASS or using the myCOMPASS PA mobile app, or by calling the statewide customer service center at 1-877-395-8930 or 1-215-560-7226 in Philadelphia.
If you have any other questions, reach out to us. We’re happy to help.
- In the income section, locate the number of people in your household
- Find the range that matches the age of your children and your household’s annual gross income
- Look down the row in the cost section to see the approximate, average monthly premium cost per child and copayments for doctor visits, drugs, and more.
If your family income is too low for CHIP, your child may be enrolled in Medicaid. Learn more about GHP Family, our plan for Medical Assistance recipients.
Health and wellness programs
At GHP Kids, we offer health and wellness programs designed to help your kids develop healthy habits and keep them for life.
As a member of GHP Kids, you’ll have access to online services to help you stay on top of your child’s health. At Geisinger Health Plan, we would rather see your kids when they’re well, so we don’t have to see them get sick. We care for our more than 500,000 members across central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania.
And we want to care for your kids, too.
Choose from helpful, no cost programs, in-person or online resources and presentations including:
- Mental health and substance abuse resources
- Health assessment – your personal health record
- Online education workshop
- Tobacco cessation program
- Weight management program
- Dental health program
- Health and wellness services
- Specialized nurses
- Certified health coaches
- Health assistants
- Recommended pediatric care
- Back-to-school vaccination guide
- Back-to-school nutrition
- Healthy eating on budget
- Social and emotional learning
- Online safety presentations
- Exercise calendars
- Nutrition and physical activity bingo
For more information about your mental health or substance abuse benefits click here.
For questions, contact Geisinger Health Plan’s customer care team at 866-621-5235 (TTY/TDD 711), Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.; Saturday between 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.