To better help you shop for an insurance plan, it’s important to know if your business is considered a large or small business. This information also helps Geisinger Health Plan follow group size certification regulations.
- Small employer: A business who employed an average of at least 1 but not more than 50 employees on business days during the preceding calendar year.
- Employee: Any individual employed by a business (based on the common-law employee definition), including individuals who receive a W-2 form. This includes full-time, part-time and seasonal employees who may or may not have been eligible for or covered by your medical plan in the previous calendar year.
- Not employees: Independent contractors receiving a Form 1099 are not to be included in the employee count. Similarly, sole proprietors and their spouses should not be included in the employee count.
How to calculate average number of employees
To calculate the average number of employees:
- Determine the total number of employees for each month (remember, don’t count independent contractors or sole proprietors and their spouses)
- Add each month’s number to get an annual total
- Divide by 12
In the example below, 252 / 12 = 21.
To send us a secured message, you’ll need to log in to the Member Service Center.
Once logged in, click "Compose Message" and select a category. Type your message like an e-mail and click Send.
You can expect a response within one business day. When you have a new message, it will be visible in your inbox. You will also receive an email that you have a new message.
Learn more about Geisinger Health Plan.