To better help you shop for an insurance plan, it’s important to know if your business is considered a large or small business. This information also helps Geisinger Health Plan follow group size certification regulations.
If Geisinger Health Plan is already your health insurance carrier, download this form to report your business size for this year. After completion, return to GHP per the instructions.
- Small employer: A business who employed an average of at least 1 but not more than 50 employees on business days during the preceding calendar year.
- Employee: Any individual employed by a business (based on the common-law employee definition), including individuals who receive a W-2 form. This includes full-time, part-time and seasonal employees who may or may not have been eligible for or covered by your medical plan in the previous calendar year.
- Not employees: Independent contractors receiving a Form 1099 are not to be included in the employee count. Similarly, sole proprietors and their spouses should not be included in the employee count.
How to calculate average number of employees
To calculate the average number of employees:
- Determine the total number of employees for each month (remember, don’t count independent contractors or sole proprietors and their spouses)
- Add each month’s number to get an annual total
- Divide by 12
In the example below, 252 / 12 = 21.
Learn more about Geisinger Health Plan.
Find a plan
Compare our plans to find the best match for your company.
Get tips and advice for living a healthy, happy life.
Geisinger Health Plan in the news
Get the latest updates about Geisinger Health Plan.